We’re delighted to bring you another insanely delicious recipe from Jad of New South Food Company! Jad specializes in gourmet southern dishes with a New South twist. This one sure has our mouth watering and has motivated us to hit the farmer’s market this weekend and pick up some gorgeous tomatoes! Take it away, Jad!
I’m always anticipating the summer vegetable season mainly because I’ve been on a tomato hiatus since early winter of the previous year. Store bought tomatoes just don’t compare to ones picked from your garden or local farmers market in season.
Once the heirloom tomatoes hit our local farmer’s market they’re the first tomatoes I buy to make this simple and fresh heirloom tomato salad.
- 6 heirloom tomatoes (varying, shapes, sizes and colors)
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and mozzarella and place into a bowl.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl with heirlooms and cheese.
- Drizzle olive oil into bowl and season generously with salt and fresh pepper
- Alternate layers of tomatoes and cheese in the center of a plate.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and drizzle more olive oil around rim of plate and on tomatoes.
Jad received the following Ballard Designs products to use in his post. His opinions are all his own: