Cornbread Dressing w/ Smoked Bacon and Pecans
Author: Southern Living
- ½ cup pecan halves
- 4 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Classic Cornbread, crumbled (about 6½ cups)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes. (Do not crisp.) Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Sauté diced onion and next 2 ingredients in hot drippings 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in green onions; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add bacon, cornbread, and next 3 ingredients. Stir together melted butter and broth, and stir into cornbread mixture. Add salt and pepper. Fold in pecans. Spoon dressing into a buttered, shallow 2-qt. baking dish; cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake, covered, at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and uncover. Transfer oven rack to highest position. Bake dressing, uncovered, 12 minutes or until top is crusty.