Kayla Swartout, Pastry Chef of Capitol Grille in Nashville, TN
- 2 Cups peanuts, ground & toasted
- 1¼ Cups granulated sugar
- ⅔ Cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 8 oz. Butter
- 7 Egg whites
- Grind peanuts in a food processor to form a rough flour.
- Toast in a 325°F oven a few minutes, until golden in color. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, peanuts, zest and salt. Set aside.
- Place butter on the stove in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter begins to boil continue whisking on heat until the butter turns a warm golden brown color. This process gives the butter a nice nutty flavor.
- Immediately remove from the heat. Keep warm.
- Whisk egg whites into the dry ingredients until combined, then slowly whisk the still warm brown butter into the batter.
- Scoop batter into mini muffin tins lined with muffin liners.
- Fill about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, rotate the pan halfway through.
- Bake until golden in color and spring to touch. Allow to cool.
- 2 Cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 tsp Apple pectin
Combine blueberries and lemon juice in a medium pot. Whisk together sugar and pectin. Add the sugar mixture to the blueberries Cook on medium heat stirring every few minutes, until mixture thickens slightly, about 30 minutes. Test the consistency on a frozen plate. It will thicken to a loose jam consistency when cooled. Chill compote until ready to serve.
Serve brown butter cakes with blueberry compote.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_button color=”#FFF” background=”#b1bb28″ size=”medium” src=”http://howtodecorate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/orange-peanut-brown-butter-cakes.pdf”]Download Recipe PDF[/fusion_button][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]