Aaron Deal, Executive Chef of The River and Rail in Roanoke, VA
Author: Aaron Deal
- ½ Cup chicken stock
- ½ Cup dried golden raisins
- 1½ tbsp Curry powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 6 oz. Country ham, chopped
- 12 Skin on chicken thighs, trimmed
- 3 Peeled and sliced carrots (avg size), cut into coins
- 2 Diced bell peppers, red or yellow
- 1 Large sweet yellow onion, ¼" dice
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 28 oz. Can whole peeled plum tomatoes, broken into pieces
- ⅔ Cup sliced toasted almonds
- ½ Cup sliced fresh chives
- 4 Servings cooked white or brown rice
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Pour the stock into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour enough broth over them to cover.
- Brown the country ham pieces on medium high heat in a heavy bottomed skillet or pan, stirring often. Once browned, remove from pan and reserve.
- Using the same pan, carefully brown skin side then opposite side of chicken thighs until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Next, add the carrots, peppers, onions, and garlic and cook until lightly browned and tender.
- Add the tomatoes, curry powder, salt pepper and raisins.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the tomatoes have cooked down to a puree and the sauce has thickened around the vegetables, about 8 minutes.
- Next, carefully place the thighs into the pot.
- Cover and bake approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue baking an additional 10 or so minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- To serve: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chicken and sauce over hot, cooked rice. Garnish with sliced almonds and chives.
Download Recipe PDF