All-Time Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
Author: Southern Living
Recipe type: Dessert
These indulgent treats are perfect for any event-party with friends, romantic dinner, or just for you.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ (12-oz.) packages semisweet chocolate morsels
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add eggs and 1½ tsp. vanilla, beating until blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Beat in morsels just until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 14 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove to wire racks, and cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- Flavor Cravings: All sorts of goodies can be added to Rebecca's recipe to create other signature cookies. Here are a few of our staff favorites.
- Chocolate Chip-Pretzel Cookies: Prepare recipe as directed, beating in 2 cups coarsely crushed pretzel sticks with morsels.
- Cranberry-White Chocolate Cookies: Substitute 1 (12-oz.) package white chocolate morsels, 1 (6-oz.) package sweetened dried cranberries, and 1 cup pistachios for chocolate morsels. Proceed as directed.
- White Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Cookies: Prepare recipe as directed, beating in 1 (7-oz.) bag white chocolate-covered mini pretzel twists, coarsely crushed, with morsels.
- Almond-Toffee Cookies: Substitute 6 (1.4-oz.) chopped chocolate-covered toffee candy bars and 1½ cups toasted slivered almonds for chocolate morsels. Proceed as directed.
- Turtle Cookies: Substitute 1 (7-oz.) package milk chocolate-caramel-pecan clusters, coarsely chopped, and 1 (12-oz.) package dark chocolate morsels for semisweet chocolate morsels. Proceed as directed. Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nestlé Turtles.
- Nutty Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies: Decrease salt to ½ tsp. Decrease morsels to 1 (12-oz.) package. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter with butter and sugars, and add 1 cup lightly salted peanuts with morsels. Increase flour to 2½ cups plus 2 Tbsp. Proceed as directed. (Dough will look a little moist.)
Bake 10 minutes for a soft and chewy cookie or up to 14 minutes for a crisp cookie.
Click here to download a printable PDF of this recipe.