Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
Author: Southern Living
Recipe type: Entree
Shallots and a touch of brown sugar bring out the sweetness in the beans.
- 2 pounds haricots verts (tiny green beans), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound shallots, halved lengthwise and peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- Melt butter and brown sugar with olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add vinegar, and sauté 10 minutes or until shallots are golden brown and tender.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add green beans, and sauté 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Click here to download a printable PDF of this recipe.