Fennel & Potato Gratin
Author: Southern Living
Recipe type: Entree
Fennel-and-Potato Gratin gets a punch of flavor from nutmeg and fennel. This cheesy potato gratin is impressive enough for a holiday party, but it's easy enough to put together on a busy weeknight.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups half-and-half
- ½ (10-oz.) block sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded $
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large baking potatoes (about 2 lb.), peeled and thinly sliced $
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- Garnish: rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in half-and-half; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Whisk in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in salt and next 2 ingredients.
- Layer potato and fennel slices alternately in a lightly greased, broiler-safe ceramic 2-qt. casserole dish. Spread cheese sauce over layers. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to broil with oven rack 5 inches from heat. Uncover dish, and broil 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish, if desired.
Click here to download a printable PDF of this recipe.