Mint Chocolate Chip Ice-Cream Cake
Author: Southern Living
Recipe type: Dessert
Our mint chocolate chip ice cream cake not only tastes great, it looks great also. The mint and chocolate will be a treat for your eyes as well as your taste buds.
- Parchment paper
- Devil’s Food Cake Batter
- ½ gal. mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 10 chocolate wafers, coarsely crushed
- Chocolate Ganache
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, thin crème de menthe chocolate mints
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans. Line with parchment paper. Prepare Devil’s Food Cake Batter, and spoon into pans. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, peel off parchment paper, and cool 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer in a 9-inch springform pan. Top with one-third of ice cream and half of crushed wafers. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake layer and ice cream. Cover and freeze 8 to 12 hours.
- Remove cake from pan, and place on a cake stand. Prepare Chocolate Ganache; spread over top of cake. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Devil’s Food Cake Batter Makes: 3 cups Hands-on time: 20 min. Total time: 20 min. ½ cup butter, softened ¾ cup sugar 1 large egg 1 tsp. vanilla extract 1 cup all-purpose flour ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa 1 tsp. baking soda ¾ cup hot strong brewed coffee 1 tsp. white vinegar Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add egg, beating just until blended. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with coffee, beating until blended. Stir in vinegar. Bake batter immediately. Chocolate Ganache: Microwave 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped, and 4 Tbsp. whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring at 30-second intervals. Stir in up to 4 Tbsp. additional cream for desired consistency. Use immediately.