Mama’s German Chocolate Cake
Author: Southern Living
Recipe type: Dessert
Enjoy this rich German chocolate cake topped with coconut-pecan frosting and garnished with chocolate-dipped toasted pecan halves.
- Parchment paper
- 2 (4-oz.) packages sweet chocolate baking bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Garnish: chocolate-dipped toasted pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and lightly grease paper. Microwave chocolate and ½ cup water in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 to 1½ minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring halfway through.
- Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Gently run a knife around outer edge of cake layers to loosen from sides of pans. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Spread Coconut-Pecan Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Note: We tested with Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate Bar.